The recent buff to Runaan’s Hurricane made more and more players test more interesting builds around this item. Initially in 9.14 it has been changed to apply on-hit effects and fire one additional hit that did 25% damage, and in Patch 9.15B its damage was buffed to 75%.
Since most items in TFT stack, you might wonder: Does Runaan’s Stack in TFT? Let’s find out how stacking works in current patch.
Does Runaan’s Stack in Teamfight Tactics?
Yes, Runaan’s does stack, but the result is a bit different than expected (could be a bug that will get fixed sometime in the future).
If you stack 2 Runaan’s on a unit, it will fire 3 additional bolts, instead of the expected 2. And stacking 3 Runaan’s will fire 6 additional bolts.
This seems to be a bug, but here’s the explanation why it works like this: each stacked Hurricane procs auto-attacks off the other Hurricanes. Here’s Scarra also confirming this, in his Patch 9.15B rundown (skip to 17:16):
Stacking two Runaan’s Hurricanes fire 3 additional attacks
Considering what we just said, let’s see why stacking double Hurricanes will fire 3 additional attacks instead of 2.
Let’s take Varus as our Ranged Carry where we’ll stack the Hurricanes. Without any Hurricane, he will fire one basic attack.
With one Hurricane, he will fire the basic attack and one additional hit.
With two Hurricanes:
- he will fire the basic attack
- the additional hit from 1st Hurricane
- the additional hit from 2nd Hurricane that’s applied by the basic attack
- and another additional hit from 2nd Hurricane applied to the 1st Hurricane’s hit.
So basically the additional hit from the 1st Hurricane also triggers the additional hit from the 2nd Hurricane.
Stacking three Runaan’s fire 6 additional attacks
Using the same logic, let’s see why 3 Hurricanes fire 6 attacks. So Varus already has the basic attack and the 3 additional attacks from the 2 Hurricanes. Adding another one means the 3rd Hurricane will proc:
- one additional attack for the basic attack
- one additional attack for the additional attack from the 1st Hurricane
- one additional attack for the additional attack from the 2nd Hurricane fired for the 1st Hurricane’s additional attack.
That makes sense, right? 🙂
Anyway, what you should take out of this article is that:
- 2 stacked Runaan’s fire 3 additional bolts that apply on-hit effects
- 3 stacked Runaan’s fire 6 additional bolts that apply on-hit effects
Now, good luck stacking them, if you get the 3 spatulas 🙂